Prior to 1836, the stipulations market was held under the arcs and on the actions of the first City center in High Street (later on Dunraven Place). The animals market was likewise unhygienically held there in the bordering streets and also even worse the slaughtering frequently took place there on the spot! All at the same time!
The Cheerful Maker (now the Waterfront Tavern) in Brewery Lane was first constructed in the mid-1790’s as the home of the manager of the new as well as up-to-date woollen mill and was called as “Cae-Felin” (Millfield). After, the mill ended up being the Maker’s family members home as well as re-named the ‘Brewery Home”. This name was retained when it came to be a pub in the 1920’s. When its proprietors, Courage (Western), were seeking to refurbish the structure and re-name it in the late 1970’s, they requested information on its history– which was supplied to them. They professed excellent passion in its background and the suggestion that it ought to be re-named “The Millfield” public house– after that promptly renamed it “The Playful Brewer”.
In medieval times a significant occasion in the religious life of the South Wales community was an expedition to the temple of St. David (Pembrokeshire), an event which took a long time to finish over a very long distance covered mainly on foot, in changing climate condition. At various factors en route were particular churches and religious homes where the explorers can pause for shelter, rest and drink. One such point was St. Leonard’s Newcastle (currently St. Illtyds).
The pilgrims occurred the old path of Ewenny to Laleston via the New Inn Bridge (Dipping Bridge) via Newbridge Fields and also Sunnyside making for Newcastle Hill. Coming close to the foot of capital were three Inns, where the more affluent explorers might remain– the Cross Keys (Keys of St. Peter and symbol of the Vatican); the Angel (the guardian angel monitoring the Pilgrims on their trip) and the Lamb as well as Flag (named from the Crusader emblem of the Lamb with the Crusader’s Cross flag over his shoulder).
Nowadays, the Cross Keys has been demolished, the Angel (now “The Wicked Girl”) just remains on the site (a much later building) and also the Lamb and also Flag is now a pair of personal houses.The poorer pilgrims who might not pay for to remain at an Inn went to the Church House (later on incorrectly referred to as the “Hospice of St. John”) for rest and also refreshment. Monks from Margam Abbey would have existed on “pilgrimage responsibility” to often tend to the travellers before they continued their method to St. David’s.
Typically, the “double-level” stone benches in the porch were for the pilgrims– resting on the upper stones with their feet on the lower ones and also the monks cleaned and bathed their fatigued as well as dirty feet ritually– as Christ washed the feet of his adherents.
World War II Prisoner of War Camp No. 198, Island Ranch, Bridgend was positioned on the A48 By-pass to the south of the community. Before its usage as a PoW camp in November 1944, it subsequently housed Ordnance factory workers and American soldiers. Throughout its four year term, it in complete detained practically 2,000 German police officers, the most well-known of whom was Field Marshall Larl von Rundstedt.
On 10th March 1945, 67 prisoners tunnelled their way out of the camp– within eight days they were all regained! The escape hut, number nine, is preserved under a Preservation Order; the rest of the camp has actually been knocked down to give way for the expansion of the Bridgend Science Park.
Take a stroll through the Rhiw Mall and as you come close to the crossway of the L-shaped gallery, seek out and also see the old Bridgend Market bell, put on hold from the roof covering above. Now 173 years old it had lain in shop and weakening in the Area Borough Council’s backyard, Maesteg, because 1970 when the old market was demolished to make way for the Rhiw Development. The awareness of the Bridgend Civic Count on and the involvement of the Centre’s owners resulted in the bell being sited in its present placement. The unveiling event took place on St. David’s Day, 1996. For Books about Bridgend see bridgendvale.co.uk